Badby Church is availble for your wedding. Download this booklet as an introducton. 
2015 Wedding booklet Badby.pdf





















Check this out
Facebook


HISTORY OF BADBY

Badby with Newnham were thought to belong to Croyland Abbey from 726AD and passed to Evesham Abbey, ratified by King Canute in 1018AD. Badby is listed in the Domesday book. After Evesham Abbey was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1539, the manor was granted to Sir Edmund & Ursula Knightley of Fawsley and the rectorship to Christ Church Oxford.

THE BUILDING

The main structure of this Church of St Mary the Virgin, dates from the early 14th century. The clerestory was added in the 15th century. The tower was rebuilt in the 18th century. There was a very major restoration in the late 19th century. A kitchen and toilet were added as a ‘north porch’ in the late 20th century.

FEATURES TO LOOK FOR:

CHANCEL

* The wide chancel arch

* The unusual step down to the chancel

* The first world war memorial window at the west of the south side

* The 18th century altar rails

* The double sedilia (stone seats) and piscina (wash basin) south of the altar

* The 17th century altar rails

* Metal text panels each side of window

* The 1995 aumbry and perpetual light

VESTRY

The vestry and organ chamber was built in 1880-1. A small organ made by Atterton was housed here from 1894 until 1996.

NORTH AISLE

* Small piscina built into the half pillar.

* Disused aumbry in the north wall.

* A tall scooped recess or niche, for a statue, probably destroyed 1547-53.

* Ball flower decoration around the top of the eastern and western half pillars.

* East end side window glass was reformed in 1982 and shows the coats of arms of Evesham Abbey and the King in 15th century stained glass. At the top the initials TN are of Thomas Newbold, Abbot of Evesham from 1491 to 1514 .

NAVE

* The west arch was constructed in 1880 to replace a low semi-circular one.

* The glazed screen was fitted in 1933.

* The magnificent clerestory windows were added above the arches in the 15th century.

* The octagonal pulpit is 17th century.

SOUTH AISLE

* The east end window has ‘stem and leaf’ tracery. The glass is dated 1881.

* The east end side window replaced a smaller one in the mid 19th century.

* The font pedestal is 15th century. The top stone bowl was fitted in 1881.

* Charity trust boards hang on the wall.

* The only memorial floor slab is a reĀ­used headstone, in the north west corner.

TOWER

* The tower was rebuilt in 1707-9 after the original fell down in 1705.

* The height from its base to the top of the pinnacles is 72 feet.

* Its solid floor is over 6 feet above the nave floor. The west window, with its tracery in two planes, replaced a smaller window in 1888. it is a memorial to Major John Francis Green.

THE BELLS

Five of the six bells were hung in 1709 in a new oak frame placed diagonally in the tower. This rotted and a completely new steel and iron frame with a new extra bell were provided by John Taylor of Loughborough in 1931-2. The outcome was a very fine sounding ring of six bells.

The 4th bell became cracked in its crown. The Whitechapel Bell Foundry recast it and it was dedicated by the vicar on Easter Sunday 2000.

The Treble weighs --297 kg,-- cast in 1931

NO. 2 --------------389------------- 1623

NO. 3 --------------440------------- 1623

NO. 4 --------------535------------- 2000

NO. 5 --------------679------------- 1623

Tenor --------------711------------- 1822

The bells are rung in the full-circle English manner, with practices every Wednesday.

THE CLOCK

The clock, made in 1780  drives one clock face. It is now electrically wound. Since July 2007, the " Westminster " quarter chimes are radio-controlled and independent of the clock.

OUTSIDE

* The replacement nave gable cross was fitted in 2001 to mark the Millennium.

* The churchyard was closed for burials in 1886.

* A large tomb for the Watkins family, who funded much of the Victorian reconstruction, is just south east of the chancel.

INCUMBENTS

The first rector of Badby with Newnham, appointed by the crown in the mid 13th century, was Henry de Cokenato. From 1285 appointments were made by Evesham Abbey. In 1343, the first vicar was Reginald Musard. After the dissolution of the abbey, from 1597 appointments were made by Christ Church Oxford.

Since 1919, appointments have been made by the Bishop of Peterborough:

1919 Hubert Ralph Cornish * 1935 Leonard Henry Hayden Green * 1951 Charles Frederick Witham * 1971 Roy Wilfred Dooley who was additionally priest in charge of Fawsley from 1982 until he died in 1989.

Then the United Benefice of Badby with Newnham and Charwelton with Fawsley and Preston Capes was formed. The Rector of these "Knightley Parishes" lives at Badby Vicarage !

1991 Stephen Paul Adams

1998 Michael David Petitt

2010 Susan Ann Faulkner

A History of Badby Church" published in 2012, A5 size, 44 pages including nine pictures is available price £3, from the Church in aid of church restoration funds





Community Web Kit provided free by BT